Problematics of Dual Vocational Education in Eastern Europe
On the one hand...
- there exist legal frameworks for praxis-oriented learning, whereas a mere 2% apprenticeship in training positions exist. The target is 75 %!
- the Government wishes to develop a praxis-oriented learning model between 2013 and 2020 – which means no less than that the Government is promoting Dual Vocational Education
- the political will exists to introduce Dual Vocational Education across the country since the legal groundwork exists to do so: Estonia is well positioned
On the other hand...
- an educational model based practically entirely on theory cannot be changed overnight: tradition and cultural accomplishments could possibly turn out to be stumbling blocks
- there exist ideas about a pilot project with a specific business sector - principle: to attack the project step by step
- there are fears that a combination between theoretical and practical education could turn out to be too costly: this warrants a Public Private Partnership
- there exist considerable EU-funds: earmarked assets
- these assets shall become invalid by 2020 which warrants relatively swift decisions (top-down approach)
- interdependence between companies, the apprentice and the vocational school furthers the climate for pragmatic approach: bottom-up versus top-down procedure regarding EU funds
- cultural aspects and phenomena of the globalised world must be weighted afresh (problematics of youth unemployment as a consequence of an exclusively theoretical education): this calls for a new (dual) education system
Approach…. (supported by SITECO)
- form a Business Club: create information platforms
- The Government of Estonia to establish an Administration Board: first concrete step
- bring to bear experience: the lead should be taken by foreign companies with praxis-oriented approach in education
- Estonian corporate and educational culture to adopt Swiss model: to combine traditions with innovation for a safe future
- create professional standards, curricula and organisational structures step by step: immediate SITECO-support when implementing the Dual Vocational System